Libya Al Hurra Livestream, a live broadcast from Benghazi, Libya founded on February 19th, 2011 by the late Mohamed Nabbous, is currently accepting donations to purchase necessary audio-visual equipment to assist journalists’ efforts to continue their coverage on the front lines.
A team of journalists from Benghazi are currently in Misrata and have been moving forward along the front lines with a group of foreign journalists (some of which are sports photographers who were in pre-revolution Libya while others have suspended their studies to document the situation and help the foreignpress document events).
This team wishes to extend their tour to Nalut and to the Nafousa Mountains where a media blackout is currently taking place. This fundraising effort also seeks to answer the request from local independent journalists in the Western Mountains for equipment in order to develop new media in the region.
The needs of the team are as follows:
- 6 long-rang walkie-talkies/two way radios (Without mobile phone service, this equipment is a lifeline they require)
- 1 Digital SLR Camera with a detachable long zoom lens *
- 2 video cameras with external microphones (or ports that allow plug in microphones)
- if the microphones are not already included, 2 microphones compatible with the video cams*
- 2 external computer storage devices with 1 TB (terabyte) of storage each (with USB cables for synching to computer)
- extra memory sticks with at least 8-20 GIG each *
- extra battery packs for the cameras*
- wall chargers for batteries
** It would be most helpful if the cameras were all similar, so that batteries and memory can be used interchangeably. The existing equipment they have are Sony Cybershot models which they are famliar with. However, cameras do not have to be Sony, their speed and efficiency are the most important features.
Without shipping the estimated cost of the aforementioned equipment would total US $3,000.
The equipment will be purchased by a team member in Malta and shipped from there to Misrata to be received by the Libya Al Hurra team to be delivered to independent journalists in the Nafousa Mountains.
Your generous donations are greatly appreciated. This is an urgent appeal as we wish to provide the teamwith all the necessary equipment as soon as possible as they will be heading to the Nafousa Mountains in the coming week.
If you are more comfortable donating equipment directly please feel free to contact us for more information. All donors will receive receipts for their records.
Donate via Paypal to this Email: